Swachh Bharat Abhiyan was started on Mahatma Ghandhi Jayanti 2 Oct 2014 by PM Modi.
Cleanliness is considered one of the crucial problems in India and PM Modi gave it a most importance by starting Swachh Bharat Abhiyan campaign across the India. Many citizens of India considered it a masterstroke from PM Modi as it put him at par with Mahatma Gandhi in public perception and also gave people the message to act on hygiene and civic sense. PM Modi nominated well known personalities from Bollywood, sports, media, business and other celebrities through social media like Twitter & Facebook to promote the initiative.
Here are 7 facts you should definitely know about the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan:
1. The national campaign started by the Modi Government is covering 4041 statutory towns all over India and aims to make the streets, roads and infrastructure clean by October 2, 2019 (Mahatma Gandhi’s 150th birth anniversary)
2. The campaign cost is around 62,009 crore rupees, of which 14,623 crore rupees will be spend by the Union Government.
3. The urban part of the campaign is being lead by the Union Ministry of Urban Development and is India’s largest ever cleanliness campaign. approximately three million government employees and school and college students of India took part in the event in its initial phase.
4. The mission was started by Prime Minister Modi and nominated nine famous personalities for the campaign. Thereafter, it has been carried forward with people from all walks of life joining it. The nine public figures selected by Modi to propagate the mission include:
- Comedian Kapil Sharma
- Former captain of Indian cricket team Sourav Ganguly
- Former IPS officer Kiran Bedi
- Padmanabha Acharya
- Nagaland Governor Sonal Mansingh
- classical dancer Ramoji Rao of Eenadu group
- Aroon Purie of the India Today group and more
5. The campaign goal also contains to reduce open defecation, conversion of insanitary toilets to pour flush toilets, eradicating of manual scavenging and Municipal Solid Waste Management (MSWM).
Also read: 7 things to know about Jan Dhan Yojana
With effect from April 1, 1999, the Government of India reformed the Comprehensive Rural Sanitation Programme and launched the Total Sanitation Campaign (TSC).
To gear up the TSC, effective June 2003, the government launched an incentive scheme in the form of an award for total sanitation coverage, maintenance of a clean environment and open defecation-free panchayat villages, blocks and districts, called Nirmal Gram Puraskar.
Effective April 1, 2012, the TSC was renamed to Nirmal Bharat Abhiyan (SBA). On October 2, 2014 the campaign was relaunched as Swachh Bharat Abhiyan
Also read: Top 10 Mejor Steps Taken By PM Modi
7. A Swachh Bharat Run was held at the Rashtrapati Bhavan on October 2, 2014 in presence of President Pranab Mukherjee and PM Narendra Modi. Around 1500 people attended and the campaign was flagged off by President Pranab Mukherjee.
Here is the full video of PM Modi launching Swachh Bharat Abhiyan.
Also Don’t Forget to Read About :
1. Top 10 Mejor Steps Taken By PM Modi